Wednesday 25 June 2014

Holiday edit

Holiday edit

I love going on holiday! Don't you love shopping for new pieces to update your existing (and extensive if you're anything like me) holiday wardrobe? I love planning my outfits and packing. I love the airport, the flight and that feeling when you arrive and the heat hits you and you know you have a week or two of this ahead of you.

I have been on some great holidays, mostly in Europe but I have seen a bit of America and the east coast of Australia. My memories of these past vacations inspire my future holiday wardrobes. 

Ibiza is my beloved spot to visit. I love the hippy, boho beach style that works so well there. I love the white cotton sundresses against a deep tan, accessorised with leather sandals and gold or turquoise jewellery. I am inspired by Ibiza from spring to autumn. I love it. I've seen Ibiza in May, July, August and September. Warming up, super hot and cooling down. 

I have had a trawl of www.johnlewis.com and found some beautiful, summery pieces that I think are perfect for a summer beach holiday.

First up, swimwear.
I am really drawn to greens and blues in the summer.  Greens look great with gold, tan or black accessories. I like the Greek inspired blue and white print with plaited rope  detail, this again looks fabulous with tan leather or you could try chocolate brown, navy or white flip flops or sandals. I think taking a full suit is useful rather than all bikinis if you plan on doing any swimming or visiting a water park. The days when you feel a bit bloated too from a cold coke or basket or bread and aioli or fancy a bit more coverage they will come in handy. 


This leads me nicely to beach cover-ups. 
There are some beautiful kaftans and kimonos out this season. I am practical and take one printed kaftan and one plain one with me most years but this year I am loving a kimono so would be packing a few more if I was jetting off on a beach holiday. They come in handy for evening too when your shoulders are a bit pink and look elegant with a simple vest and tailored shorts or over a maxi dress.  


Sunglasses.
I have my eye on a few John Lewis pairs this year. I think a tortoise shell pair look stylish and go with a lot as do plain black but there's a lot more choice out there this season. I think I'll get a pair of gold aviators too. Hopefully they will last me a few summers. My Primark wayfarers were £1 each and have lasted a while but I want slightly better quality this year. My taste is changing.


Beach bag. 
I love a big beach bag. I use it as my carry on bag and can fit so much in them. A big beach towel is a must on holiday. You can pick up novelty ones there and leave them there or you could buy a nice one that you like and use it each holiday. I like this multicoloured striped one. So a big bag is necessary. 


Leather bags can be hot against your skin in hot countries. This metallic one has sold out but it gives you an idea of shape and size but also may encourage you to try different textures. For a bag that's a bit smaller but still has enough space for suncream, water and your book when you go on a day trip sightseeing, this bag is ideal.


Outfits.
So when you have your day trips on holiday or you go somewhere a bit nicer for lunch you need some smart shorts and a top. I love a Breton stripe and will be stocking up on these hopefully in the John Lewis summer sale which starts tonight online at 8pm and instore tomorrow from doors opening. 


Necklaces.
While sightseeing or eating lunch you can still keep your outfit simple but add a statement necklace for a little personality to the outfit. I love gold costume jewellery and this coin necklace is a fab grecian style I think. This coloured necklace is fun and a pop of colour. I think styling in magazines look amazing when jewellery is layered on with beachwear but practically it'll be too hot against your skin and look silly. 


Footwear.
You can use flips flops to and from the beach or the classic Birkenstocks maybe try a bold colour to keep them fun or a metallic version for a modern touch. When sightseeing you can use a more pretty sandal or an espadrille like these leopard print ones. I love the combination of a simple tailored short with a Breton striped tee with a leopard pump for your accessory. These metallic sandals are modern and stylish, I will pick a pair of these up in the summer sale. 


That is a daytime guide to your holiday clothes and accessories. I will try and put together an evening holiday outfit guide soon.

Enjoy your holidays X

No comments:

Post a Comment