Tuesday 20 May 2014

Minimalist existence

am concentrating on saving up this year. For the future. Sounds boring but I have had some amazing holidays, backpacking adventures and attended numerous concerts and theatre shows in my life so far and know 1 year without (as many!! Not completely, I'm only human) won't kill me. I have taken on a new role in work and am working more hours so pairing my new monthly wage and being more frugal with how I'm spending, I am seeing my savings mount up. Gradually. 

Decluttering my wardrobe (suitcase, numerous bags & drawers) of clothes and accessories has been an ongoing task for, let's just say, a while. I am no longer hoarding my pre-loved pieces and eBaying them, charity shopping or binning them. One or two items have filtered into my relatives wardrobes too. I want to be left with some favourite pieces, some classics & then buy a few new pieces each season. I want to be able to close my drawers without stuff trying to escape. I want to be able to part my items in my wardrobe easily without it being a workout.  

I've worked for fashion brands and boutiques for the last 10 years so have accumulated some amazing pieces. But it's time to part with some of them. Feel free to check out my eBay page kittylouiseswardobe for some pre-loved bargains.

Google images

I want a place of my own soon. I want to spread my belongings across a whole home not just my bedroom. When I do move out, I want to only take things that I really want with me. Rather than boxes of things that I plan to get rid of eventually. Do I really need to hold onto old birthday cards? Teddy bears? Diaries? School, college & Uni work? No I don't. But will I one day wish I had? It's not like clothes that can be replaced. 

I have so much of everything. I don't just have a few belts, a few scarves, a few bags - I have loads of each. I have loads of lovely versions of each too. Which makes it harder to part with any of them. I have got rid of so much and I still have SO much! 

Google images

I like order and organisation. I like everything to have a home and know where everything is exactly when I need it. I do not need a lot of choice.

I plan to personalise my first home but not have loads of "things". I like a picture or painting or two on a wall. I like a full and accessorised bookcase and shelves but I'm not an ornament and clutter sort of girl. I like a shabby chic look with feminine touches. A nice cushion, a throw and a rug but plain walls and blinds. I like painted wood in pastel shades with bright accents such as a lamp, photo frame or cushion.  

I think less choice and clutter is a more simple way. I think tidy but homely is a more relaxed environment to come home to. 

Google images

I want a clear mind when possible. I want to just "be" sometimes. I always have the TV on even if I'm surfing the web, blogging, cleaning. I rarely listen to the radio now Chris Moyles has "retired". Recently I've been wanting to quietly potter around with no tv on no radio on and just have my own thoughts. Quiet. Peaceful. I love to run a bubble bath and read in peace. I love to curl up on the couch and read then nap on my days off. Today I had a lovely walk in a tree lined route in a quiet area, I really noticed how calming it was. I feel relaxed. 

Google images

It is important to me to feel as little stress as I can. I need calmness and quietness. I crave no drama and noise. I'm neither naive nor boring although to you I may seem it. There are lots of books you can read around this subject of creating calmness and living a peaceful life. There are retreats you can go on, yoga classes you can take. This is how I feel I want my life to be. I will still indulge when I want to but I think a new more minimal, less materialistic and technology based life will be more suitable for me. 

I love watching the clouds. Taking a walk. Hearing the birds. Watching the sea waves. Thinking about nature. Watching wildlife programmes. Putting everything material into perspective. 

At the end of it all, we know ourselves best and why wouldn't we create the life we want to live?

Kitty x

No comments:

Post a Comment