Thursday 22 May 2014

Who should I vote for?

Who should I vote for? 

Not who you're voting for. What affects you might not affect me in the same way.

I am 26 years old. I graduated with a 2.1. Due to the recession (the first of the 3 in recent years) I chose not to go straight to London and risk a struggle. I had been working all through Uni and in 3rd year when I should of been concentrating on my degree and dissertation I had 2 part time jobs to afford all the costs I had. So when I graduated I wanted a full time wage to myself for a while. I should of gone to London and joined the rat race anyway. I wanted to go back home for a year. Work and save for travelling. Then once I'd returned I was going to move to London with the aim of working in a fashion brand's head office. I instead enjoyed the full time wage and when the second recession hit, didn't think quitting a full time role was wise. As there are few fashion brand head offices in Liverpool/Manchester, I chose which brand I wanted a career with and worked on their shopfloor with the idea to once the recession ended use my contacts to move to their head office. 3 years+ passed and 3 recessions. I had the contacts, I enjoyed the creative role as a visual merchandiser I was in but progression was slow an competitive. I could of afforded to share a flat with a friend or boyfriend but nobody in my social groups felt any urgency to do that in our early 20s. I was still at home, earning a low wage and ready for something new. I saved up for a year. Applied for a position in London and didn't get it. I had been half heatedly applying for jobs since graduating. I quit my job and travelled Australia. My cv was strong so I wasn't too worried about getting work on my return. It wasn't a good time to be quitting a full time job that you enjoyed but it felt like now or never. 

I returned home from an adventure that gave me some independence to no money no job and still living at home at the age of 24.

I took a temp job while applying for jobs. Within 8 weeks of returning home I had secured a role I had wanted ever since Uni. A personal shopper for the best department store on the high street. I loved my role for the first 6 months. I was so happy. Then I realised I was 25 working part time on the shopfloor and living at home. What I was doing at 14-16. I am now 26 years old and even though I have taken a different, full time role which I don't enjoy I still am not earning enough to rent let alone buy a house. I am single. My friends and I don't want to flat share we are adults who want our own places. Some friends who are in relationships (teachers) have been able to get houses with their partners. I am not a teacher nor in a relationship. 

If I bought a car there would be no money left over to save. 

I in 5-10 years will be affected by a completely different bunch of issues. House costs, bills. Child care. 

I in 20-25 years my parents healthcare, my children's education and university bills. 

Pensions. Climate change.

Who should I vote for? This evening. Not who did what 15 years ago. Who did what 30 years ago. 

All suggestions and comments welcomed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment