Wednesday 10 September 2014

I've finally lost my Mac virginity

Today I bought not only my first Mac product but also my first ever red lipstick.  At the grand old age of 27.  To be honest I've never liked a red lip.  It's a bit clown like for me.  However, as I am now an avid viewer of beauty vloggers Essie Button and Zoella (to name a few) I am taking much more interest.  I think a red lipstick is what is missing from my make-up bag.  Today I wore a red tartan shirt and even though my makeup went on well, my lips looked pale.  I added a tab of pink lipstick (brave for me, I am a Vaseline girl through and through) and it didn't quite work.  So, after my morning meeting I ventured into the Mac section of Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar. 



I approached the assistant/makeup artist and explained what I was looking for and my lack of lip colour experience.  Nicole asked me if I wanted bright or dark, I said neither, I want sheer.  She talked me through a couple of options and I said I would like to try a few of her suggestions.  I understand that you have to get used to wearing a lip colour and at first any colour would feel dramatic.  I thought there would be a buttery, sheer red that I could ease myself in with.  I was wrong.  The most sheer red that Nicole had to offer me was from the Viva Glam Rihanna collection and in the shade Frost, £15.50.  I was advised to wear a lip liner to prevent the colour bleeding and to make the colour last longer.  A lined lip is not a look I fancy so I declined on purchasing one.  I asked again if there was anything else more sheer and less bright, less dark but was assured this was the one for me.  According to Nicole, the range designed with Rihanna was one that suits all skin tones.  I could tell the product was a blue based red and when I asked if I had a blue undertone Nicole agreed that I had. 
 
 
 
I purchased the product even though it wasn't what I was looking for.  I don't know if it suits me.  I couldn't wait to wipe it off especially the lipliner.  I often wonder why the assistants/makeup artists own makeup looks perfect but it never looks well applied on the customer's face?  Nicole's makeup was flawless.  I blotted as much as I could in the toilets then ate my lunch.  By the time I got home I just had lined lips, awful.  I rubbed the line liner in and applied my good old fave, Vaseline.  As I type this I've just had another go, a layer of Vaseline, a layer of Mac.  Too bold so I blotted which made my lips feel dry so I smoothed a bit of Vaseline over the top.  I like my lips to feel soft and buttery.
 
We shall see how I get on with this, it looks nice in photographs (bonus) but I have a feeling it isn't going to grow on me and I will be swatching in Boots searching for the perfect sheer red for months to come.
 
All recommendations welcome please!

No comments:

Post a Comment